MouthguardsMouthguards protect the teeth and mouth from injury due to contact in sports. They fit around and between the teeth so they are less prone to grinding on one another and the wearer will not bite down too hard on the tooth itself. They're used for any physically intense sport or sports involving contact.
How Are Mouthguards Customized?
Our customized mouthguards are made from an impression of your teeth, a popular impression material is Alginate. From this impression, a mouth guard will be made to fit that impression specifically.
Are There Different Types Of Sports Guards?
Yes, there have 3 different types of sports guards available:
- Over-the-counter: Rubber or polyvinyl and sold in small, medium, or large sizes.
- Boil-and-bite: Boiled in water and formed to the teeth.
- Custom-made: Custom made from a full-mouth impression.
Do Custom Sports Guards Come With Any Benefits?
There are benefits to paying for a custom fit:
- Better protection: Since it fits better, you can bite down harder, and it will stay in place easier.
- Better breathing: The mouthguard will be custom fit just for your mouth. A better fit will allow for more comfortable breathing.
- Potentially better performance: Better breathing allows for more oxygen intake. A better fit will resist displacement more when clenching hard during high exertion or encountering heavy impacts.
- Peace of mind: Knowing you have equipment built just for your body is comforting and can give the wearer more confidence.
When Do You Need A Mouthguard?
Patients who play these sports should definitely consider mouthguards:
- Olympic weightlifting
Your custom sports guard will protect your teeth from potentially traumatic tooth damage and or tooth loss.