Dental Extraction Fast Facts
- You’ll feel minimal amounts of pain during the extraction.
- Blood clots afterward are normal.
- It may take up to two weeks to recover.
Dental Extractions - When are they Necessary?
How To Prepare For A Tooth Extraction
Be honest with your dentist before the extraction is performed.
- A congenital heart defect
- Liver disease
- Thyroid disease
- Renal disease
- An artificial joint
- Damaged heart valves
- Adrenal disease
- An impaired immune system
- History of bacterial endocarditis
How Is A Dental Extraction Performed?
Dentists use different instruments and techniques to accomplish this procedure safely and as comfortably as possible. Selecting an experienced and qualified general dentist (or specialist) is crucial to perform this procedure for you.
Will I Be Given Medication For The Surgery?
- Your surgery is expected to belong
- You have an infection or a weakened immune system
- You have a specific medical condition
What Is The Cost Of A Dental Extraction?
The cost of the extraction will depend on the level of difficulty for the procedure.
Are there any dental extraction complications?
- Bleeding that lasts longer than 12 hours
- Severe fever and chills, signaling an infection
- Chest pain and shortness of breath
- Swelling and redness at the surgical site
- Nausea or vomiting
The method of care may be different depending on where the extraction happened and how difficult it was typically you should:
- Get lots of rest.
- Drink lots of fluid.
- Saltwater rinse (half a teaspoon of salt in a small glass of water)
- Do not smoke
- Eat mostly soft foods
- Avoid spitting and using straws
- Take pain relievers if necessary (please use sparingly)
Daily brushing, flossing, and mouthwash is a great start!
Generally no, if a significant part of the tooth can be saved, then a crown will usually be recommended, or a bridge (for multiple missing teeth). However, if tooth pulling is recommended, it is most likely the only option.
There can be discomfort involved, and the aftercare can be a nuisance.