Athletic Mouthwear & Mouthguards - What Are They?Mouthguards protect the teeth and mouth from injury due to contact in sports. They fit around and between the teeth so they are less prone to grinding on one another and the wearer will not bite down too hard on the tooth itself. They are used for any physically intense sport or sports involving contact. Mouthguards can also help prevent the wearer from breaking, chipping, or knocking out a tooth. Mouthguards are not only for children, as long as the activity is sufficiently physical enough that dental injury can occur, but mouthguards are also recommended.
How Are Mouthguards Customized?
Our dental customized mouthguards are made from an impression of your teeth, a popular impression material is Alginate. From this impression, a mouth guard will be made to fit that impression specifically.
Are There Different Types Of Sports Guards?
Yes, we have 3 different types of sports guards available:
- Over-the-counter: Rubber or polyvinyl and sold in small, medium, or large sizes.
- Boil-and-bite: Boiled in water and formed to the teeth.
- Custom-made: Custom made from a full-mouth impression.
Do You Sell Custom Athletic Mouthwear?
Custom sports guards are made by our dental team at Smiles Dental Group. It’s recommended that you wear a custom sports guard if you participate in any contact sport.
Do Custom Sports Guards Come With Any Benefits?
There are benefits to paying for a custom fit:
- Better protection: Since it fits better, you can bite down harder, and it will stay in place easier.
- Better breathing: The mouthguard will be custom fit just for your mouth. A better fit will allow for more comfortable breathing.
- Potentially better performance: Better breathing allows for more oxygen and a better fit will resist more when the exertion is higher.
- Peace of mind: Knowing you have equipment built just for your body is comforting and can give the wearer more confidence.
Do you need extra protection?
When do You Need A Mouthguard?
Patients who play these sports should definitely consider mouthguards:
- Olympic weightlifting
Your custom sports guard will protect your teeth from potentially traumatic tooth damage and or tooth loss.
Why Choose Smiles?
Our dental staff will get you booked in at the earliest most convenient time. We'll do everything we can to make your appointment as comfortable as possible. We're even prepared and experienced with booking in children. You can bring the whole family into any of our clinics and get all your dental work done!
We hope to see you soon, we're accepting new patients today!
What We Offer
Evening & Weekend Hours
Comfortable, Relaxed Environment
Instant Financing options
Our Fees Are Always Below The Dental Health Guide!
Want to find out about our prices?