What Are Athletic Custom Athletic Mouthwear/Mouthguards?
Mouthguards protect the teeth and mouth from injury due to contact in sports. They fit around and between the teeth so they are less prone to grinding on one another and the wearer will not bite down too hard on the tooth itself. They are used for any physically intense sport, mouthguards can also help prevent loss of teeth and broken or chipped teeth.
Mouthguards are not only for children, as long as the activity is sufficiently physical enough that dental injury can occur, mouthguards are reccomended.
How Are Mouthguards Customized?
Our dental customized mouthguards are made from an impression of your teeth, a popular impression material is Alginate. From this impression, a mouth guard will be made to fit that impression specifically.
Are There Different Types Of Sports Guards?
Yes, we have 3 different types of sports guards available:
- Over-the-counter: Rubber or polyvinyl and sold in small, medium, or large sizes.
- Boil-and-bite: Boiled in water and formed to the teeth.
- Custom made: Custom made from a full-mouth impression.
Do You Sell Custom Athletic Mouthwear?
Custom sports guards are made by our dental team at Smiles Dental Group. It’s recommended that you wear a custom sports guard if you participate in any contact sport.
Do Custom Sports Guards Come With Any Benefits?
There are benefits to paying for a custom fit:
- Better protection: Since it fits better, you can bite down harder, and it will stay in place easier.
- Better breathing: The mouthguard will be custom fit just for your mouth. A better fit will allow for more comfortable breathing.
- Potentially better performance: Better breathing allows for more oxygen and a better fit will resist more when the exertion is higher.
- Peace of mind: Knowing you have equipment built just for your body is comforting and can give the wearer more confidence.
When would you need to wear a mouthguard?
Some examples of sports you should wear mouth guards for are:
- Olympic weightlifting
Your custom sports guard will protect your teeth from potential traumatic tooth damage and or loss.