Fast Facts Dental Hygiene
- Toothpaste has been used as far back as 5,000 BC in Egypt!
- The first mass-produced toothbrush was invented in 1780.
- The earliest modern dental floss was invented in 1815.
Cleaning teeth is one of those things that people often take for granted, which is a problem when prevention is the best strategy for most dental afflictions. If you don’t clean your teeth with a full routine at least daily you are more likely to have problems. Most dental issues take a long time to fully materialize but once they do it can be very pricey to fix them, and may even involve multiple surgeries if it’s significant like a root canal.
What are the benefits of cleaning teeth?
What Do You Need To Keep Your Mouth Clean?
- Toothbrush – These are affordable, effective, and should be used by everyone, you can get standard non-electric toothbrushes like these ones here. If it is within the budget, an electric toothbrush is preferred, you can get rechargeable brushes for a reasonable price, like this one here.
- Toothpaste – This is the second must-have for anyone, as long as you have any toothpaste you should be fine, we recommend trusted brands though such as this one here.
- Floss – Just as useful, if not more than the previous 2 items. Floss is also very cost-efficient, you can also get floss picks like this one here to make flossing easier!
- Mouthwash – If there’s a least likely to be used option on this list, mouthwash would probably win. We highly recommend it cause it can greatly help keep your mouth clean. Check out some of the brands here.
- Waterpik – If your budget allows, these work well for increased plaque and acid removal. (pro-tip: add 1/3 mouth wash to the reservoir to combine two steps). You can see a large selection of these here.
How long should my dentalcare routine take?
Need a Dental Checkup?
Call us today!
How do I take care of my teeth?
- Brush for 2-4 minutes (30 sec to 1 minute per quarter of mouth)
- Floss for 2-4 minutes (30 sec to 1 minute per quarter of mouth)
- Swish mouth wash for 30 sec and spit (do not swallow mouthwash)
- Use the water pick for 2-4 minutes (30 sec to 1 minute per quarter of mouth)
Frequently asked questions
We don’t recommend it cause those food particles will be stuck in your mouth for the whole night which will give a lot of time for plaque to form.
Any toothbrush will do at least some good, but here is The Ultimate Toothbrush Buying Guide if you want more input!
Yes, they can make your teeth shades whiter, if you’re looking for more results than that, come get them whitened at Smiles Dental Group!
High-carb foods can break down into sugars and acids, if you eat these foods make sure you clean your teeth right after. Other foods like nuts and hard candies can be tricky for teeth cause they can damage them.
Yes! No matter how good your routine is you will still probably get plaque which can turn into tartar (only a professional can remove this). You can also get other afflictions as well. Visit your dentist at least twice a year!