- Whitening toothpaste has ingredients that make it slightly more abrasive than regular toothpaste.
- The light used in whitening procedures is there to “cure” the whitening agent.
- At-home kits work best if the staining is only superficial.
White teeth are typically seen as an indication of good health, and whiter shades are usually seen as more attractive than not. Having slightly stained teeth is not a bad thing, but it can make certain people self-conscious.
Why Do Teeth Become Stained?
The main sources of extrinsic discoloration are:
Coffee, tea, wine, food, and tobacco.
This type of staining has the best chance of being treated by at-home whiteners.,
The main sources of intrinsic discoloration are:
Medication, illness, trauma, or aging.
You will most likely need professional whitening for this type of staining.
Teeth Whitening Methods – What Are They?
- Professional treatments – These are typically stronger materials that may damage the teeth if used incorrectly. This is why professionals do the whitening.
- (DIY) At-Home Treatments – These treatments are great for surface stains, and lighter stains, but they won’t give you the same amount of change as professional treatments.
- Type of discoloration – Intrinsic or extrinsic.
- The budget you have for your treatment.
- What your age is.
- Your dental history.
At-Home Teeth Whitening Products
Professional Whitening Products
Zoom whitening is the method that Smiles Dental Group uses. It has to be administered by trained professionals due to the strength of the whitening agent, and the tools required for the procedure. This product consists of a gel that contains a high concentration of whitening agents.
Teeth Whitening Complications
Teeth whitening is generally pretty safe. The main concern would be improper administration of the whitening, or overuse which could damage teeth. Most people experience similar symptoms:
- Tooth Sensitivity – Depending on how strong your treatment is you’ll most likely feel varying degrees of sensitivity.
- Gum Irritation – The ingredients used in the whitening can have a mild effect on the gums. Dentists do try to prevent the whitening agent from contact with the gums.
Frequently Asked Questions
That will depend on how badly stained they are when you started, and what was the origin of the stain.
Smoking is one of the most harmful things to your teeth’ health and whiteness.
The treatment cost will vary depending on the type of treatment received with the in-office treatment usually being the most expensive.