What is fluoride?Fluoride is an important mineral in your bones and teeth, it can be found in the following resources:
Some cities around the world also add fluoride directly into the water drinking supply because of concerns due to people not consuming enough, this process is called "water fluoridation". If you're unsure about water fluoridation in your city, you can always contact your cities government to find out.
You can always Google your city and its position on water fluoridation.
Fast facts about fluoride
- Fluoride has been studied extensively and is considered very safe.
- Don’t swallow fluoride products like toothpaste or mouth wash as you may get to much.
- Fluoride is some times added to drinking water supplies to increase dental health.
Fluoride is a key component in the health of your teeth. Its main function is to strengthen the enamel of your tooth, as well as prevent tooth decay. There are many benefits to fluoride as well as some risks, however, the risks are fairly rare, and shouldn’t be an issue for the vast majority of people.
What is fluoride used for?
- Medical imaging scans
- As a cleaning agent
- In pesticides
- To make Teflon, steel, and aluminum products
Why is fluoride beneficial?
Fluoride is specifically beneficial to teeth because it:
- Fortifies tooth enamel
- Adds minerals back into the tooth enamel
- Reverse early tooth decay
- Prevents the growth of harmful bacteria